Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother Dear

Hello everyone! :) Another scorcher in southern California, I am just not made for this kind of weather but I do love the sunny clear skies. Anyways I wanted to post this on Mothers day but I am a tad late but this post is an appreciation post to my mother. Lately I've been making more and more outfits for her because why not?

My mother has been in my corner since the day I was born and has been supporting me in my sewing adventures. She's there when I need her and offers advice and critiques. Without her support I don't know where I'd be right now so this post is dedicated to her.

Once again this is a two for one post so I'm sharing some dresses I made for my mother. The first dress I made I actually made a while back and I'm just getting the chance to share with you. My mom picked out the fabric for this dress, its a very colorful argyle print and has a soft corduroy which oddly my mom didn't like but it was soft and a nice flow and she couldn't pass it up. :)

Below is the pattern I used to create the dress.
 
This pattern required a lot of fabric and had an interesting twist to it which I will share in a moment. The process of making this dress was a long and tedious one because I wanted to make sure everything was just right. :)
 
 
 
 
 
Sorry for the bad picture quality but this is the dress as I was working on it and if you think that is the front of the dress you'd be wrong. :) TWIST! its the back and it actually looks really great. However with this dress you'd need a helping hand.
 
Now I would like to present to you Simone...
 
Isn't she grand! I had to use a petticoat to give her that fullness but she can be worn without one. I adored the colors and the print of the fabric itself and she has a nice flow to her and I like how she isn't too overwhelming despite the bold bright print.
 
This is what she looks like from the back and as you can see the buttons go all the way down so this is a dress you'd want to wear with the help of a friend.
 
This is my lovely mother modeling her dress Simone. The dress is actually quite beautiful and it looks great on her. The accessories used are a pearl choker and some pearl earrings with her hair tied back in a ponytail.
 
Simone is a flirty fun dress which you'd could wear just about anywhere, maybe at work that isn't too strict about the dress code. Simone is a statement dress she'll turn heads. :)
 
 
The next dress I'll be sharing with you I made for mom for mothers day. :) This dress had a lot of trials for me. I didn't get enough fabric for the dress so I borrowed my boyfriends bike and rode all the way to Joanns which was not the best idea but I wanted to complete the dress before she got home for mothers day. However the fabric I originally got Joanns no longer had so I had to pick a different fabric which was a tad sheerer than the one I originally purchased. The print I chose was a white fabric with black polka dots.
 
So I was able to finish the dress an hour after mom returned home on mothers day which was fine with me because she got her gift on mothers day.
 
Below is the pattern I used which I recently purchased.
 
 
 
I bought this pattern with the idea that I don't have enough wiggle dress patterns and I absolutely love wiggle dresses. It was actually a pretty complex pattern to work with especially with the darts, faux back belt and collar but it was actually pretty fun to make.
 
Now let me introduce you to Dotty...
 
 
 
Now I have no pictures of Dotty on my dress form because my dress form didn't do her justice fit wise but this is her. Dolly is sheer like I said and would require a slip to wear her. The pattern originally had pockets but mom opted not to have those.
 
This is a view of the back, with the faux back belt however you can't really see the darts in this one.
 
 
 
 
Now Dotty is for the fun loving woman at work or out and about enjoying the day. I see this dress as more of a day outfit not something you'd wear in the night life.
 
Alright everyone that's it for now I hope you enjoyed and I hope to post more soon. For now you can check out my etsy ;)
 
 
Ja ne everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment